U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY
In the matter of:
Expanded Cargo and Passenger
Flexibility at Puerto Rican International
DECLARATION OF RYAN SCHNITZLER
I, Captain Ryan Schnitzler, this 12th day of September, 2019, declare under penalty of perjury:
- I am the Master Chairman of the Delta Master Executive Council (the MEC) of the Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA). The MEC represents the 14,000 pilots who fly for Delta Air Lines, Inc. (Delta or the Company).
- The MEC stands with Delta in opposing the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico’s request for extraordinary blanket exemption authority to foreign air carriers.
- While the MEC may differ with the Company on certain joint venture proceedings related to international partner flying, on this issue we stand united with the Company and are committed to protect and grow opportunities for Delta-operated international flying, and associated job and career opportunities for Delta flight crews.
- Delta and its pilots recognize the strong growth opportunities presented by Puerto Rico. On August 30, 2019, the Company announced that it would add more than 3,000 weekly seats to Puerto Rico for the upcoming 2019/2020 Winter Season. These flights include new widebody flying from Atlanta with A330 aircraft, as well as new seasonal service from Delta’s Detroit hub. Altogether, this represents more than a 50 percent increase in seat capacity between the mainland and San Juan by January 2020.
- Delta and its pilots are friends to Puerto Rico, assisting in the recovery effort following Hurricane Maria and flying multiple relief missions. The island is now moving toward full recovery, with visitor traffic at record levels, as evidenced by Delta’s massive increase in capacity this Winter Season.
- However, Delta and the MEC are compelled to disagree with the Commonwealth on this exemption application. Puerto Rico has failed to identify a single actual or potential foreign transfer operation that is currently prohibited under open skies, but would be enabled by this request. Further, Puerto Rico does not deny that its ultimate objective is to obtain cabotage relief for foreign air carriers. Such a result would frustrate and deter future flying and additional capacity expansion by Delta.
- Extending an open invitation for foreign carriers to expand operations on U.S. soil, with the ultimate objective of obtaining cabotage relief for them to operate a quasi-hub at San Juan will not strengthen the competitive position of U.S. air carriers or encourage fair wages and working conditions.
- Pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 1746, I declare under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct.
/s/ Ryan Schnitzler
Capt. Ryan Schnitzler
 Delta, Delta Adds Winter Flying from U.S. Hubs to Top Caribbean Destinations (Aug. 30, 2019), available online at:https://pro.delta.com/content/agency/us/en/news/network-update-archive/2019/august-2019/delta-adds-winter-flying-from-u-s–hubs-to-top-caribbean-destina.html.
August 28, 2019
Delta Master Executive Council
AIR LINE PILOTS ASSOCIATION, INTERNATIONAL
CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE
I hereby certify that a copy of the foregoing was served by electronic mail this 28th day of August, 2019, on the following:
Air Carrier Name Email Address
Alaska David Heffernan firstname.lastname@example.org
Allegiant Aaron Goerlich email@example.com
American Robert Wirick firstname.lastname@example.org
Amerijet Joan Canny email@example.com
Atlas Russ Pommer firstname.lastname@example.org
Federal Express Ralph Carter email@example.com
Federal Express Courtney Felts firstname.lastname@example.org
Frontier Howard Diamond email@example.com
Hawaiian Parker Erkmann firstname.lastname@example.org
JetBlue Robert Land email@example.com
Reese Davidson firstname.lastname@example.org
Evelyn Sahr email@example.com
Drew Derco firstname.lastname@example.org
Kalitta Air Mark Atwood email@example.com
National Airlines Malcolm Benge firstname.lastname@example.org
John Richardson email@example.com
Polar Air Cargo Kevin Montgomery firstname.lastname@example.org
Southwest Bob Kneisley email@example.com
Leslie Abbott firstname.lastname@example.org
Spirit Airlines David Kirstein email@example.com
Joanne Young firstname.lastname@example.org
Sun Country Brandon Carmack email@example.com
Victoria Palpant firstname.lastname@example.org
United Dan Weiss email@example.com
Steve Morrissey firstname.lastname@example.org
Abby Bried email@example.com
Amna Arshad firstname.lastname@example.org
UPS Dontai Smalls email@example.com
Transportation Todd Homan firstname.lastname@example.org
Peter Irvine email@example.com
Brian Hedberg firstname.lastname@example.org
Robert Finamore email@example.com
Brett Kruger firstname.lastname@example.org
Justice Kathleen O’Neill email@example.com
Caroline Laise firstname.lastname@example.org
Administration John Duncan email@example.com
/s Ryan Schnitzler